[Catalyst] sample code for feedback

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Thu Jun 23 19:58:30 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 19:31 +0200, Sebastian Riedel wrote:
> Looks ok to me, but it depends on the context, do you really just
> show the syntax or do you compare to other frameworks?

I show the syntax for doing the same app in Catalyst, OpenInteract2, and
CGI::Application (hopefully more by OSCON) and explain how the code I
needed to write varies between them.

> And if, what do you compare, elegance, number of lines, simplicity,
> features?

I don't plan to do a line count because I consider readability more
important than compactness.  I will talk about how easy it was to figure
out what I needed to do in each framework, how much glue code I needed
to write, how much setup work was required (configuration), and unique
features of each framework.  I'll do a small benchmark too, but it will
have some significant disclaimers on it because I'll only be measuring
the basic "out-of-the-box" performance when writing the app in the
recommended style.

So, if you think this code is not using some Cat feature that could
potentially simplify it or add free functionality, I'd like to hear it.
It seemed like I was using the standard stuff, except for one spot at
the end of the sign() method where I had to call another method directly
rather than forwarding in order to pass a parameter.  I was glad to see
that it worked just fine to do that though.

- Perrin