[Catalyst] Self restarting test server for Win32!

Will Hawes info at whawes.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 16:32:10 CET 2005

Attached are patches to the latest (as of yesterday) Catalyst::Engine::HTTP and Catalyst::Engine::HTTP::Restarter to implement what is hopefully a cross-platform compatible, self-restarting test server.

It uses sockets and should work on any system that supports them. As far as I am aware that should cover most (all?) Unix derivatives and any Windows from 2000 onwards. Verified on Win2K3, FreeBSD 5.4 and Suse Linux 10.0.

This approach allows for a more graceful shutdown of the server - it doesn't kill() anything, ensuring that all ports can be released properly.

I'd appreciate some testing and feedback. Note that you may need to open port 3001 if you are running a firewall on your machine - this is currently hard coded in the patch but can be changed later if all works as intended.

wh