[Catalyst] Self restarting test server for Win32!

Sascha Kiefer sk at intertivity.com
Tue Nov 8 16:55:51 CET 2005

Will Hawes schrieb:

>Attached are patches to the latest (as of yesterday) Catalyst::Engine::HTTP and Catalyst::Engine::HTTP::Restarter to implement what is hopefully a cross-platform compatible, self-restarting test server.
>
>It uses sockets and should work on any system that supports them. As far as I am aware that should cover most (all?) Unix derivatives and any Windows from 2000 onwards. Verified on Win2K3, FreeBSD 5.4 and Suse Linux 10.0.
>
>This approach allows for a more graceful shutdown of the server - it doesn't kill() anything, ensuring that all ports can be released properly.
>
>I'd appreciate some testing and feedback. Note that you may need to open port 3001 if you are running a firewall on your machine - this is currently hard coded in the patch but can be changed later if all works as intended.
>
>wh

Hi.
good job but i don't like your approach! Why? Well, i have three reasons.
1. the port (3001) is not configurable (yet)
2. anybody could send "1" to port 3001; you should check whether or not
the ip comes from an allowed ip-endpoint using a mask := (ip & mask) ==
client-ip (may require more configuration)
3. it uses another TCP listen socket; why not using the HTTP listen
socket and sending a special HTTP command like KILL / HTTP/1.0 (or
CATALYST-KILL / HTTP/1.0)

Regards,
--esskar