[Catalyst] Why Catalyst instead of Ruby on Rails?

Philip Edelbrock phil at netroedge.com
Sun Nov 13 00:17:26 CET 2005

On Nov 12, 2005, at 4:16 AM, John Siracusa wrote:

> On 11/11/05 11:55 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>> The Rails plural table-naming convention does seem like one of the
>> stranger decisions in Rails.  It flies in the face of every schema
>> I've
>> ever worked with.
>
> I always use plural table names and singular class names, but I
> agree that
> it's pretty draconian to make this convention a mandatory part of a
> framework.

You may have meant this, but just to be clear, almost nothing is
mandatory in Rails.  There are just 'defaults'.  Most models (if you
are going with the flow) are almost empty files because they assume
things like the table name, an id column, and database connectivity
as described in database.yml.  You can do things like connect to
bazaar legacy tables, it's just that your model will look a bit
messy. ;')

Phil