Wow! (was Re: [Catalyst] How do you talk about Catalyst in 25 minutes?)

Marcello m.romani at spinsoft.it
Fri Nov 18 11:49:25 CET 2005

Jules Bean ha scritto:
> Chisel Wright wrote:
>
>> it didn't have the same Wow! factor
>> as Django, and to some extent the RoR one.
>

> Well.
>
> Do we want Catalyst to have a wow! factor?
>
> (This is *not* a rhetorical question).
>
> I'm using Catalyst in my day job, like many people on this list. For
> that purpose I couldn't care less if it has a wow! factor. I want it to
> be robust, extensible, sensible, powerful, and fast. I don't need it to
> be idiot-proof (at the programmer end) because I'm not an idiot. I don't
> plan to hire idiots to work for me, either. Of course, I want it to
> build idiot-proof applications, but that's quite different, isn't it?
>
> However, as a natural evangelist and loyalist, rather than as a
> programmer, I would of course like it to have a wow! factor. So perhaps
> we can talk about that.
>
> Personally, I think we can get quite a bit of wow! just with a better
> scaffolding. I haven't yet looked at Zbigniew's scaffolding he uploaded
> to the wiki; it sounded promising. So, having not even looked at it, let
> me suggest what I think we need:
>
> - A scaffolding script which creates two interfaces to an existing DB.
>   - An 'admin' CRUD interface featuring:
>     - logins required (and hence, session support)
>     - The ability to get a complete overview of the database, with
>       sensible paging by default
>     - The ability to do arbitrary modifications (INSERT/UPDATE not
>       CREATE) in ways which sensibly respect relationships.
>
>   - 'user' view-only interface containing
>     - browse
>     - search
>
> - Some really nice bundled CSS files which make the whole thing
> beautiful. (Ideally involving *no graphics* but just really slick CSS)
>
> - The generated code to be sensibly structured to make the a sensible
> starting point for extra, 'real' functionality.
>
> - The generated code to use the existing Catalyst config framework to
> allow the programmer to choose which tables are accessible to users, and
> which are editable by users (defaulting to 'all' and 'none').
>

> If you want Wow!, then the feature list above gets you pretty close to
> 'IMDB in 15 minutes' that someone suggested.
>
> In the ideal world this would not only be a cool wow 15 minute demo, but
> it would also be somethign that real programmers would use as a first
> step in building an app. It has to be cool enough to look nice and still
> produce practical sensible code.

This gives two tipes of Wow!, one at the programmer end and one at the
user end.

If a generated example app looks slick and has good functionality, we
get a high Wow! _user_ factor.
For example, the 'classical' example Maypole app (i.e. the 'crud
interface in 20 lines of code') had a very high Wow! user factor.

If this slickness and functionality is backed by clean end easily
extensible code, then we get an even higher Wow! _programmer_ factor.
This is something that the aforementioned Maypole demo app definitely
lacked (as anyone who tryed to move too far from the CRUD paradigm using
Maypole quickly discovered).