[Catalyst] How do you talk about Catalyst in 25 minutes?

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 15:30:58 CET 2005

Christopher H. Laco wrote:

> I'll admit it. I'm impress by eye candy and clean css design. I like
> that stuff. But if I wanted a completely solution, click once, run one
> script and everything is generated out of the box eye candy solution, I
> wouldn't use Catalyst.

Let's be clear.

I'm not talking about altering Catalyst here.

I'm talking about building a Helper (and Catalyst has superb support for
a very general notion of Helper which AFAIK is quite unique among its
competition) which you can use to make CRUD.

And I'm further suggesting that we shouldn't be so narrow-minded as to
think it would *only* be CRUD. If it can generally a sufficiently
configurable, well-written, extensible CRUD framework that it is
actually a useful basis for your next Catalyst App[*], then that is
something pretty clever. Dare I say "Don't Repeat Yourself?".

> I personally don't think that Catalyst should concern itself with the
> WoW factor. It's not a competition with RoR and Django. The right tools
> for the right job. That's just me. I would not want Catalyst to get
> bloated down with fancy admin pages, and css, and eye candy. It's a
> frmaework, not a final solution to anything.

To emphasise: I'm not suggesting bloating Catalyst. I'm suggesting an
(entirely optional) helper script which can *help* people generate
CRUD-like interfaces, if that is part of their application.

Jules

[*] Not all Catalyst Apps need contain anything CRUD-like. Many do. It
is the ones that do I'm trying to help.