[Catalyst] How do you talk about Catalyst in 25 minutes?

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Fri Nov 18 15:15:58 CET 2005

Jules Bean wrote:
> Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> My comment about unfriendly welcome was more based on irc
>> conversations.  Any way it's nice to see people supporting my point of
>> view.  I admit that the approach of generating examples with simple
>> substitution is a bit crazy, but at least it is simple on both sides -
>> creation of examples and using them.  If anyone have better ideas how
>> to reach those two goals than I'll cooperate.
>

> OK, I wasn't in on that IRC conversation. I'm not often in #catalyst,
> it's a bit high traffic for me to follow mostly.
>
> Clearly a technical objection to your implementation shuold not be taken
> as an affront to the goal you're trying to acheive.
>

>> I put the example at: zby.aster.net.pl:3001/example .  Thats temporary
>> - until I manage to fix some problem with apache.
>>

> Cool.
>
> Ugly, isn't it? Sorry, I'm being blunt :-) Never underestimate
> eye-candy: a clean attractive design makes it easier to use.
>
> Does your scaffold cope with more than one table? Or does it just work
> on a simple table?
>
> Please don't use GET requests for deletion. It's OK to use a GET request
> to pull up a confirmation page which you then POST for deletion, or you
> can skip the confirmation and just use an inline POST.
>
> For other cool ideas, please look at my older post.
>
> Jules

http://blog.dave.org.uk/archives/000852.html

I'll admit it. I'm impress by eye candy and clean css design. I like
that stuff. But if I wanted a completely solution, click once, run one
script and everything is generated out of the box eye candy solution, I
wouldn't use Catalyst.

I personally don't think that Catalyst should concern itself with the
WoW factor. It's not a competition with RoR and Django. The right tools
for the right job. That's just me. I would not want Catalyst to get
bloated down with fancy admin pages, and css, and eye candy. It's a
frmaework, not a final solution to anything.

I could be wrong. :-)