[Catalyst] [Announce] Catalyst 5.58

Joshua Keroes jkeroes at eli.net
Mon Nov 28 02:12:55 CET 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 2:41 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 02:13:33PM -0800, Joshua Keroes wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 27, 2005, at 1:42 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>> - Why is catalyst.pl placed in /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin?
>>
>> catalyst.pl will be installed wherever your perl(1) is located.
>
> Is there a reason for that?  What if the user doesn't have permission
> for that?
>
> Shouldn't it be in $PREFIX/bin?

By default, catalyst.pl and any other files that make it into in
script/*.pl  will be installed in the same location as perl(1). This
is because Catalyst is installed using Module::Install.

ExtUtils::MakeMaker will copy the EXE_FILES from the INST_SCRIPT dir
to INSTALLSCRIPT dir. I took a few minutes to look through
Module::Install, but I can't tell if (or how) it honors PREFIX and
INST*SCRIPT. I think they will be handled correctly - it looks like
Module::Install leverages ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build to
write the Makefile.

Long story short? It should do the right thing w.r.t. PREFIX. Test it
if you want the definitive answer.

-J