[Catalyst] New default screen for Catalyst.

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Tue Oct 18 18:25:51 CEST 2005

catalyst-bounces at lists.rawmode.org wrote on 10/18/2005 10:42:38 AM:

> Hey.
>
> For 5.50, we're planning a new default screen for Catalyst
> applications. I've started work here:
>
> http://dev.thefeed.no/welcome.html

I like the look and feel. looks clean.  Can we take a step back though and
reconsider even putting all that info in the default start page?  Why not a
link to the tutorials section of the wiki, and a simple your app is
working, but not doing anything quite yet silly.

> And would like some feedback and suggestions for improvement. Two
> points for discussion from Sebastian>
>
> He suggests that we should remove the CDBI model from the list, as
> he says we can'trecommend Class::DBI anymore. I still deploy new
> systems running Class::DBI, and thus opose that view.

I think dbix should at least be listed first.  I do think it is too early
to disclaim using CDBI, many users that will come to try Catalyst will have
some experience with it.  It also has more documentation and how-to's built
for it at this point.  Maybe just an extra sentence like: Many of the
Catalyst devs prefer dbix instead of cdbi for new projects -- it can act as
a drop in replacement for class::dbi most of the time.  or some such.

> He also suggests we might recommend using the new commented out end
> action in trunk,. rather than using the DefaultEnd plugin. My view
> is that it hides unnecessary complexity, which in my view is a good
> thing for new users. What do you people think?

Sounds good to me,  if that is the recommended practice lets gently guide
peple to use it...