[Catalyst] New default screen for Catalyst.

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Tue Oct 18 18:34:38 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:17:40PM -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 06:08:39PM +0200, phaylon wrote:
> > Just another idea:
> >
> > How about putting more general information on usage of ORM, Views,
> > Models, Constrollers and stuff on the welcome screen, and link to a
> > special "Techniques/5.50" site in the wiki?
>
> I don't think that an intro screen is the right place for a
> MVC 101 lecture. It would be good to have a pointer to the
> Manual, which discusses such things in detail, but I think it
> would be best for an intro screen to have the minimum
> information necessary to answer the "What now?" question,
> and no more.

It looks way too detailed for my taste already. Trying to put "Everything
a Cat newbie needs to know" on a single page is doomed to failure.

I think something friendlier would be better. Ideally including a few
"What do I do next?" questions with links to answers, perhaps. The
answers could be short tutorials on the main cat webpage, so they can
be updated without having to touch the code.

Cheers,
  Steve