[Catalyst] New default screen for Catalyst.

arnaud at underlands.org arnaud at underlands.org
Wed Oct 19 08:28:59 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:25:51AM -0500, Wade.Stuart at fallon.com wrote:
> catalyst-bounces at lists.rawmode.org wrote on 10/18/2005 10:42:38 AM:
> > Hey.
> > For 5.50, we're planning a new default screen for Catalyst
> > applications. I've started work here:
> > http://dev.thefeed.no/welcome.html
> I like the look and feel. looks clean.  Can we take a step back though and
> reconsider even putting all that info in the default start page?  Why not a
> link to the tutorials section of the wiki, and a simple your app is
> working, but not doing anything quite yet silly.

I totally agree.
I don't think all those info on a default page is a good idea
(may give a wrong impression of complexity to new users)
links are enough to provide all the information for those who want them.

> > And would like some feedback and suggestions for improvement. Two
> > points for discussion from Sebastian>
> > He suggests that we should remove the CDBI model from the list, as
> > he says we can'trecommend Class::DBI anymore. I still deploy new
> > systems running Class::DBI, and thus opose that view.
> I think dbix should at least be listed first.  I do think it is too early
> to disclaim using CDBI, many users that will come to try Catalyst will have
> some experience with it.  It also has more documentation and how-to's built
> for it at this point.  Maybe just an extra sentence like: Many of the
> Catalyst devs prefer dbix instead of cdbi for new projects -- it can act as
> a drop in replacement for class::dbi most of the time.  or some such.

(once again : ) Amen !

I share the common point of view that Class::DBI will be drop soon or later
but habits are hard to kick, and people still look for MVC framework using
CDBI. A mention saying you CAN use it but SHOULD probably use DBIX...

> > He also suggests we might recommend using the new commented out end
> > action in trunk,. rather than using the DefaultEnd plugin. My view
> > is that it hides unnecessary complexity, which in my view is a good
> > thing for new users. What do you people think?
> Sounds good to me,  if that is the recommended practice lets gently guide
> peple to use it...

Didn't had time to study that, sorry.

regards

Arnaud