OT: Templating systems (was RE: [Catalyst] New default screen for Catalyst)

Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR Thomas.Mark at bls.gov
Wed Oct 19 16:41:50 CEST 2005

> > HTML::Template rules !!!
> > As it's the templating system which has the greatest
> > separation between code and presention, and it's
> > also the one having the highest KISS factor...
>
> Err.... whoops  - looks like you accidentally said
> "HTML::Template", when you
> _obviously_  had to have been talking about Petal.

Personally, I don't see how HTML::Template is any different from how I
use TT, except:
1. It's more verbose <TMPL_VAR NAME=FOO> versus [% foo %]
2. It is limited to HTML only
3. Your HTML templates cannot be validated as proper HTML.

And Petal? You were definitely being sarcastic there! Anything with
XML-style namespaces cannot be considered simple.

If you guys want to see a templating system with the highest KISS factor
I've seen, you have to look outside of Perl to Amrita2. It's not as
flexible as TT, but the creators chose simplicity over flexibility.
Check it out at http://amrita2.rubyforge.org/

- Mark.