OT: Templating systems (was RE: [Catalyst] New default screen for Catalyst)

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Oct 21 03:32:53 CEST 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 09:23:43PM -0400, John Siracusa wrote:
> Er, call me crazy, but I don't want my views doing selects either.  As far
> as I'm concerned, the only think a template is allowed to do is rearrange
> the data I pass it and synthesize values based on that data.  No selects, no
> db access at all.  How do I enforce it?  Er, code reviews, I guess :)

I would agree. Although, the selects sure are handy in the templates
when generating a list of related items.  Like displaying a User
record and showing their associated roles.  Could pull all that out
into an array in the controller, I suppose, but then I'd feel like I
was using HTML::Template again.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org