[Catalyst] Maxipoint Spam

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Apr 6 19:25:38 CEST 2006

I received one that ended up in my possible spam folder that I
normally ignore, and about 20 related messages in my Catalyst folder
which I never ignore.  Humm.

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:46:51PM -0400, Stanley Shivell wrote:
> It seems to me that Catalyst comes out with new goodies and  bug fixes quite
> often, and I'd be concerned that by relying on a hosting provider for my
> catalyst install, that I wouldn't get timely bug fixes or updates if they
> didnt' update it's install often enough... At the same time I'd be concerned
> with using a hosting provider that just updated the install with out
> adequate notification. I'd like to be able to test the new version with my
> code before switching....   So with that issue alone I'd be curious to see
> how the Hosting provider would support   something that is in such heavily
> devleopment.     (Speaking of which... how often do catalyst upgrades break
> older catalyst apps? I guess that would depend on what I was using... but
> does this happen? How often?)

I agree.  Until there's a mod_catalyst module, I don't really see the
point in a host "supporting" Catalyst, unless that means they have
good shell support and the standard collection of tools and no limits
on long running processes.

And I also agree that you want your modules installed locally where
you have full control and can do versioning on the application as a
whole.

I keep suggesting (and not doing anything about) a tar-ball approach to
distribution.

    wget http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/latest-full.tar.gz
    tar zxf latest-full.tar.gz
    ln -s catalyst-full-5.68 catalyst_lib