[Catalyst] getting TT to translate automatically

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 23:43:38 CEST 2006

Hi Uwe

thanks. kind of funny to be getting to the same place ...!

the real problem I have with all the maketext stuff (and I HATE being a
wheel reinventor) is the way the substitution text works. It's fine for
people that do a bit of programming, but:

"[_1] is not a valid email address", email

is an absolute horror to get across to people who have never written a line
of code in their lives. Whereas they can be persuaded to turn :

"$EMAIL is not a valid email address"

into

"$EMAIL nie jest wa?nym adresem emailowym"

with relative ease. Furthermore, it's not that hard to write code to make
sure that if $EMAIL is in the base lang, it is in the translation too, so
you can validate their input as it happens.

Now if I could find a way to put a wrapper on the nice maketext stuff and
make it nicerer ...

maybe there are workarounds or techniques that work and that I am ignorant
of (very possible). If so, I'd like to know

cheers

Daniel

On 4/9/06, Uwe Voelker <uwe.voelker at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello Daniel,
>
> > <module code>
> > package Catalyst::Plugin::TTL10n;
>
> A similar module already exists:
> http://search.cpan.org/~chansen/Catalyst-Plugin-I18N-0.05/
>
> It works really well.

> > [% c.l10n('some text that needs translation') %]
>
> [% c.loc('text') %]
>

> Bye, Uwe

Daniel McBrearty
email : danielmcbrearty at gmail.com