[Catalyst] Suggested minor fixes for Catalyst error output

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Thu Apr 13 14:34:32 CEST 2006

13.04.2006 13:37 luke saunders:

> This probably is nicer than just lumping it all in Engine.pm. But
> then i supposed Catalyst would REALLY rely on the skeleton of the
> App being created with the helper script (so the error/welcome/
> javascript templates can be deployed in root/templates/ or
> whatever, without which they'd get no error at all).
>
> I guess it is possible for just the Nifty JS library to be put in
> root/static/js and then included using the same uri_for magic that
> the welcome page uses for its images. But the fact remains, it's
> still yet more stuff to ship with Cat and yet more stuff to put in
> the root/static directories which probably isn't desirable.

No we can't do this, it has to be hardcoded in Engine.pm,
Static::Simple is still just a plugin.
We may remove TT at some point from the core prereqs so thats also no
option. (we are discussing a split between core and helper modules atm)

> So, they're just corners for the error page and they're a bit of a
> nightmare so let's just ditch them. They can be left as they are on
> the welcome page since that doesn't break.

Those round corners may be not a essential feature, but they are
still very important, Catalyst should be fun to use and it needs
eyecandy for that.
People who switch between browsers while developing their apps
instantly notice "the ugly debug screen" in non-mozilla browsers.
This is all about user-experience, yes we could just remove them and
the debug screen would still be usable, *but* it would be much less fun!

--
sebastian