[Catalyst] Catalyst on Windows advice needed

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Apr 17 20:26:16 CEST 2006

Stuart McGraw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can I get some advice regarding Catalyst on Windows?
>
> I recently read about Catalyst and it sounded great.
> I need to run it on MS Windows (with IIS -- that is
> a requirement).  I have spent friday and this entire
> weekend trying to install it on a Windows 2k machine
> with Activestate perl-5.8.8-817.  I have tried using
> the ppm packages at uwinnipeg.  I have tried building
> the cpan packages.  I have tried following various
> googled instructions. I have tried the shadowcat script.
> I have tried various combinations of the above in various
> orders.  For 3 days.

Try 5.8.7, we're sticking to that in windows environments until 5.8.8 shakes
out more. I could've sworn I'd put a note of that at the top of cat-install
but apparently not.

> If I do get things working, can I expect relatively
> smooth sailing from there, or is development with it
> likely to be one long series of problems?

Provided you've got a working compilation env, windows isn't *too* bad.

> Are things likely to improve significantly in the
> near future?

Things work pretty well now if you don't try and run a bleeding-edge perl dist
   :)

> Is Catalyst thread-safe?  (I want to run it in
> Activestate's PerlEx.)

Yes, as is DBIx::Class.