[Catalyst] Catalyst/Catalyst::Helper split

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Apr 18 03:57:59 CEST 2006

Sebastian Riedel wrote:
> We've decided to split Catalyst and Catalyst::Helper in two separate
> packages,
> so Catalyst becomes more of a runtime package while Catalyst::Helper
> adds the developer goodies.
>
> You can test it in the moose branch.
>
>      http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-
> moose/
>      http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-
> Helper-moose/
>
> Have fun!
>
> --
> sebastian

Ugh. I don't like it. That could just be me. Given the small size of
Helper, what's the point? Does that mean that catalyst.pl MyApp does
nothing until you install the Helper package? Seems like just another
barrier to getting started...and also a hindrance to all modules who
include a component and a helper, which is most models and views.

Should those be checking for the existence of Catalyst, or
Catalyst::Helper as a prereq?

For that matter, shouldn't
http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-Helper-moose/Makefile.PL
have a prereq for Catalyst?