[Catalyst] Catalyst/Catalyst::Helper split

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Tue Apr 18 04:14:46 CEST 2006

18.04.2006 03:57 Christopher H. Laco:

> Sebastian Riedel wrote:
>> We've decided to split Catalyst and Catalyst::Helper in two separate
>> packages,
>> so Catalyst becomes more of a runtime package while Catalyst::Helper
>> adds the developer goodies.
>>
>> You can test it in the moose branch.
>>
>>      http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-
>> moose/
>>      http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-
>> Helper-moose/
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>> --
>> sebastian
>
> Ugh. I don't like it. That could just be me. Given the small size of
> Helper, what's the point?

It has a lot of prereqs like TT, PAR and Test::WWW::Mechanize that
are now gone from the core dist.
The main reason behind this is to make Catalyst as easy deployable as
possible.

I was thinking the same you do now when Matt tried to convince me,
but i think this is a step in the right direction.

What i want to see in the future is more meta-frameworks like
Catalyst::Enzyme,
this change will make life easier for them too.

> Does that mean that catalyst.pl MyApp does
> nothing until you install the Helper package? Seems like just another
> barrier to getting started...and also a hindrance to all modules who
> include a component and a helper, which is most models and views.

No, myapp_create.pl will check for Catalyst::Helper and die with the
friendly message "Please install Catalyst::Helper!".
So no changes needed at all, just update the scripts in your apps (as
usual).

> For that matter, shouldn't
> http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-
> Helper-moose/Makefile.PL
> have a prereq for Catalyst?

No, that would result in circular prereqs, making Catalyst
uninstallable.

P.S.: It's not such a big change, just making life easier for the devs.

--
sebastian