[Catalyst] UPDATE: catalyst on vmware
email at jasonkohles.com
Mon Apr 24 19:05:18 CEST 2006
On 4/19/06, moltar <moltar at spamcop.net> wrote:
> One thing that really concerns me thus far is the size of the
> installation. Right now vmware image is at 2.4 GB! Even if I take out
> GUI stuff, it's still quite large. I am not sure of how it's best to
> distribute it. What do you suggest?
A few tips on distributing VMware images...
* Make sure the guest is powered off when you are checking the size
or packaging for distribution. If the guest is powered on or paused
there will be a memory image file in the directory, so you will waste
some space storing your virtual machines current memory image.
* The guests are generally pretty compressible -- right now I'm working
with a RHEL4 image which is 1.65 gigs on disk, but zipped up it's
* Make sure you aren't configuring your virtual machines with any of
these features, which take a lot more disk space...
* Pre-allocated virtual file systems
* Independent or persistent virtual disks
* If using CDROM images to do the install, make sure they aren't
being included in the VM directory
* Delete any unnecessary snapshots before you package it up
* Make sure you don't have any screen capture pictures or movies
left in your virtual machine directory
* Delete any vmware.log (or vmware-#.log) files from the virtual
* Remove anything you don' t need from the guest OS filesystem
In particular check out
Mozilla cache directories if you've been running mozilla
* Defrag the virtual disk after cleanup
email at jasonkohles.com - http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
More information about the Catalyst