[Catalyst] Using Log4perl under Apache, logs created with root for owner & group

Ian MacDonald IanMacDonald at datacomit.com.au
Thu Apr 20 04:40:33 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've just switched our logging to use Catalyst::Log::Log4perl and have a
problem because the logs are being created with owner & group of root.
Logging occurs ok during request handling (not sure why as apache is run
by user apache) but we have some jobs which take too long to complete so
are forking other scripts to handle them (simply using system()), and
these scripts (which are also run by apache) fail to open the logs due
to permission error.

I've can work around it for now by setting umask to 0000 in the Log4perl
config file but this is obviously not ideal, and I'd also like to hear
if there's a better/more Catalyst way of handling my long jobs.

TIA
Ian Macdonald
DataComIT