[Catalyst] Installing Catalyst in a hosting enviroment

Sebastian Willert willert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 18:25:59 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 17:29 +0200, Gianmaria wrote:
> Hello,
> i'm starting to develop a new website and i'd like to develop using Perl
> instead of PHP. I'm very interested on using Catalyst for speeding up
> coding but what i can't understand how to deploy my site after having
> developed it locally. In a typical hosting enviroment (linux) you can't
> install Perl modules as you do normally having root access to the
> server. Is there a simple way to install Catalyst in these cases?
> Sorry for asking so basic questions but i'm not able to find clear
> documentation about this issue (and i'm a Perl newbie :P )

You are right, there is no easy way. As far as I know, your are out of
luck if your hoster does not provide mod_perl or FastCGI and you dont
have your own Apache (configuration).

In theory, there is nothing to stop you from installing the complete
stack of requirements (starting with a recent perl) without root privs,
I have done so just a few days ago.

All you need is access to:
  1) an C compiler
  2) the httpd.conf of your Apache