[Catalyst] What a waste of time

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 01:29:08 CEST 2006

On 4/26/06, rails coder <railscoder at gmail.com> wrote:
>  This project really needs to get a clue about attracting new users (unless
> they simply don't want many).

Although I agree with you, maybe attracting new users really isn't the
point of it, after all. Catalyst isn't developed by a company which
wants to boost their own market value. I tihnk Catalyst developers
develop it primarly for their own use. It's kind of how KDE developers
think  (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=111073841623192&w=2).

They (the developers) know it's better than the other alternatives and
that's why they use it themselves. No one is trying to convince you
over Catalyst. If Rails suits your needs and you're already familiar
with it, by all means, use it. When one of its limitations gives you a
headache, you might then consider Catalyst again, but it'll probably
be too late.

BTW, I agree that Rails installation process is a lot better than
Catalyst's but I installed Catalyst without issues under Win32 (which
is a lot worse for CPAN installs) multiple times. So *maybe*
Catalyst's not the one to blame, although being less than ideal. ;-)

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.