[Catalyst] Starting development

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 21:13:27 CEST 2006

On 4/27/06, Guillermo Roditi <groditi at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK Here is the deal..
>
> I want to use catalyst.
> I know perl, _very_ well.
> I know how to THINK like a programmer
> I know mysql in and out, php very very well, and i can work my way around c
> and c++

Hi Guillermo,

Having ramped on Cat fairly recently myself, I think the following
suggestions might help:

1) Matt Trout has a nice cat-install script available at:
http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk/static/cat-install

I build a brand new RHEL4 box the other night it installed a base set
of Catalyst packages with no issues at all.

2) Because I felt like I did a lot of spinning my wheels when I first
came to Catalyst, I decided to "put my time where my mouth is" and try
to come up with a tutorial that shows a decent range of current,
real-world Catalyst best practices.  It might not suit your needs, but
you can get a recent version at:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/users/6827

If you do the tutorial and have any suggestions, please let me know.
I hope to "release" it to the Catalyst Wiki and the examples section
of svn in the next few days.  It's my hope that it will help others
get productive with Catalyst as quickly as possible.

3) To run the tutorial, I had to install the following items on top of
the cat-install:
  a) expat-devel rpm
  b) sqlite3 rpm
  c) These perl modules:
    install Object::Signature
    install Test::Deep
    install Catalyst::Plugin::Session
    install Catalyst::Plugin::Session::State::Cookie
    install Cache::FastMmap
    install Catalyst::Plugin::Session::Store::FastMmap
    install Class::Throwable
    install Catalyst::Plugin::Authorization::ACL
    install  Digest::SHA1
    install Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication
    install Set::Object
    install Catalyst::Plugin::Authorization::Roles
    install IO::Tty
    install XML::Parser
    install XML::Parser::PerlSAX
    install XML::RegExp
    install XML::DOM
    install Date::Manip
    install Parse::Yapp::Driver
    install DBI
    install Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication::Store::DBIC
    install Catalyst::Plugin::DefaultEnd
    install Devel::StackTrace
    install Catalyst::Plugin::StackTrace
    install version
    install Catalyst::Plugin::Dumper
    install Class::Data::Accessor
    install SQL::Abstract
    install SQL::Abstract::Limit
    install DBD::SQLite
    install Class::Accessor::Chained::Fast
    install Data::Page
    install Carp::Clan
    install Algorithm::C3
    install Class::C3
    install DBIx::Class
    install Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema
    install TT
    install Template::Timer
    install Catalyst::View::TT
    install Test::LongString
    install HTTP::Server::Simple
    install Carp::Assert
    install Carp::Assert::More
    install WWW::Mechanize
    install Test::WWW::Mechanize
    install Test::WWW::Mechanize::Catalyst

I was then able to untar the sample via the link in #2 above and then do:
  cd MyApp
  DBIX_CLASS_STORAGE_DBI_DEBUG=0 CATALYST_DEBUG=0 prove \
    --lib lib -v t/live_app01.t

to run the test case.

HTH,
Kennedy