[Catalyst] Is Catalyst large enough to sustain a book?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Apr 28 18:33:26 CEST 2006

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:
> On 4/28/06, Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org> wrote:
>> HTML::Prototype is a direct port of the rails api - which sucks.
>
> It's not a direct port. Not everything is available and in TT you
> still have to do something like p.method() instead of just method().

It was originally a direct port.

>> Frankly, I think Prototype/scriptaculous kinda sucks, after having
>> used it - it's fun, till it has to scale a bit more.
>
> I disagree.
> I think Prototype is an absolute must-have for every JavaScript-heavy
> site nowadays. In JavaScript world, Prototype is the best thing that
> ever happened since sliced bread.

Prototype is a complete joke technically. It's inflexible, a pain to extend
and does the equivalent of stuffing UNIVERSAL:: which means it doesn't
co-operate with other libraries sanely in a lot of cases. It's the sort of
awful honey trap that formmail.pl and friends from Matt's Script Archive were
for perl programming.

mochikit and dojo are both sane. We should support at least one of these, and
preferably both.

>> Usually code generation is fun but then limiting - which is expected
>> and OK (since after all you are writing in  a pretty high level
>> programming language), but the moment that you start doing prototype
>> "by hand" it's weaknesses start to show their ugly head.
>
> Hmm... I must be somewhat unware of these things, because I've never
> seen JS code generation. Unless you mean that evaled <script></script>
> weirdness of Rails (which, although weird, can be useful, but is not
> ideal).

the Ruby JS helpers are code-generation

HTML::Prototype is code-generation

Nobody said the code was being generated *by* JavaScript.