[Catalyst] Is Catalyst large enough to sustain a book?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Apr 29 18:08:51 CEST 2006

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:
> But I don't really use Prototype because of its Ajax request methods
> (although I no complains besides the Updater issues). I use it because
> of the other stuff it provides. Its extensions to the base classes and
> so on.

Those are exactly the bits that make it hateful from my POV - it means that
stuff that iterates across objects in search of user defined keys gets things
it doesn't expect because Prototype has polluted the root namespaces. This can
sometimes be worked around by loading Prototype after everything else, but
that doesn't always work - and wouldn't be necessary if Prototype played nice
and created its own derived objects to stuff its extensions into.

Basically, it's gratuitously poor engineering in the name of adding some
dubious convenience stuff. Not really my idea of production quality code.