[Catalyst] Is Catalyst large enough to sustain a book?

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sat Apr 29 12:27:19 CEST 2006

* Michele Beltrame <mb at italpro.net> [2006-04-29 12:05]:
> - We should include ORM and view, and DBIx::Class and TT2 to be
> precise. The "Catalyst newbie" would want to see how to get
> things done from beginning to end. Then we can tell him: "OK,
> you prefer HTML::Mason? Just use ti, see how easy it is!"

+1

Catalyst is not wedded to any one particular ORM and template
system, as Yuval asserts, but the community definitely leans most
heavily in that direction, so as the Rails people sensibly say,
if you want the easiest time getting help from others, you should
stick with the widespread choices.

I think of it the way Larry talks about Perl 6: in Perl 5, many
things, but particularly the OO system, is just *too* orthogonal,
so that everyone wastes time rolling their own interpretation; in
Perl 6, you can still do whatever you want, but there is a good
default for people who just want to get their job done.

So should it be with a Catalyst book: concentrate on people who
have no particular preferences and just want to get their work
done, first. Then you can (and *should*) show them how to do
something else, should they have a need to.

Regards,