[Catalyst] Is Catalyst large enough to sustain a book?

Michele Beltrame mb at italpro.net
Sat Apr 29 12:03:27 CEST 2006

Hello!

> On that subject, I don't really see what the fuss is about. What's the
> problem to have lots of contributions from people who are hot on various
> different topics of cat, and put them together with *gasp* a TOC/Index
> so people can read what they want? I've used technical books like that
> for years, in fact my favourite ones have extra appeal *because* I can
> use them like that. ("Ooh, I never knew I was interested in that ...")

This is my idea as well. Maybe we could set a wiki up so we can see if
we can work something out...

As far as the rest of the discussion is concerned, my Eur 0.02 are these:

- We should include ORM and view, and DBIx::Class and TT2 to be precise.
The "Catalyst newbie" would want to see how to get things done from
beginning to end. Then we can tell him: "OK, you prefer HTML::Mason?
Just use ti, see how easy it is!"

- We should have a chapter on MVC programming, even something as brief
as 10 pages but which explains the thing *well*. In my mind I figure the
Catalyst newbie to be a web programmer (maybe coming from PHP) who is
looking for something more powerful to develop his applications.

- We should have a dotted list of Catalyst strengths, not only thinking
about comparison with "traditional" web programming but also with other
MVC frameworks.

- It's very important to have a section covering the most painful thing
for Catalyst beginners: the installation. This should explain the
... It would also be interesting to cover how to choose a good provider
for Catalyst.

Michele.

--
Michele Beltrame