[Catalyst] Translations for error message

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 18:24:42 CEST 2006

Note that spanish and portuguese are really completely different
languages, besides being similar superficially. I understand english
much better than spanish. What we usually can understand pretty well
is a mixture of both languages, common in the Brazilian southern
border with Argentina, Paraguai and Uruguai, which is usually called
"portunhol" ("português + espanhol") here in Brazil.

The main problem is due to the fact that there are *a lot* of false
cognates between portuguese and spanish. Usually, spanish language
courses take advantage of this fact and make some pretty funny TV
commercials. But this false cognates problem extends to the
differences between Brazilian Portuguese and the Portuguese spoken in
Portugal em other countries. Also, there are lots of funny situations.
"Rapariga" in Portugal means "a lady", in Brazil people usually
understand it as meaning "a prostitute".

These language issues are really complex, IMO.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.