[Catalyst] Why scaffolding? Validation and Learning

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Aug 18 01:25:05 CEST 2006

Max Afonov wrote:
> There's that, and there's also the ease of prototyping an application
> really, really fast when scaffolding is available. Without such
> scaffolding, you may end up taking a month to build a prototype. It
> certainly depends on the complexity of the project, however, speed may
> be more important in some cases. I am mostly referring to being able to
> say "I can show you something right now" to your manager/client/etc.
> Stuff like this really raises your level of credibility.

However this doesn't require scaffolding; the reflection approach I'm
proposing instead (soon with code to back it up :) has all the same advantages
here.

Code-generation of any form where the generated code is then edited is almost
invariably a code smell.

> Another thought: is catalyst.pl not a form of scaffolding already? We
> don't create our application skeletons from scratch with our bare hands.
> Even the wisest samurai would never resort to such activity.

I often use catalyst.pl in an empty dir, copy across a couple bits and then
nuke the rest.

I'm pretty sure we've got quite a few users now who don't bother with it at all.