[Catalyst] [***SPAM*** Score/Req: 11.00/6.0] Re: [***SPAM*** Score/Req: 11.00/6.0] Re: Error while going through tutorial using Oracle

Jason Crummack jason.crummack at easysoft.com
Fri Aug 18 12:04:31 CEST 2006

Alex,

If I could predict what new reserved words may appear in future Oracle /
SQL versions I would, that's the reason they give you a quote character
to allow future changes to reserved words.

I agree that if I was creating new tables, I wouldn't at this point in
time use a currently known reserved word but when accessing existing
tables I have no choice.

I've been involved writing ODBC/JDBC drivers (and the unixODBC project)
for the last 10 years +, trust me new reserved words happen every few
years, and different database backends have different reserved word
lists. Some of the legacy systems i have to attach to can't have the
table names changed.

When approaching database related issues I afraid I can't take the
approach of it works alright for me, the specifications are there for
good reason, many knowledgeable people have initially contributed to
produce such specifications, I think it's important for
Storage::DBI::Oracle module to follow that specification.

I don't necessarily agree with reversing out your patch, I'd like to
discuss it with one of my colleagues who's a DBD::Oracle maintainer as
to the best approach.

Jason

P.S. Sorry I hit send plain text by mistake (matter of habit) I was
trying to draw you're attentions to the following paragraph

An identifier is passed /as is/, i.e. as the user provides or Oracle returns it. |table_info()| performs a case-sensitive search. So, a selection criterion should respect upper and lower case. Normally, an identifier is case-insensitive. Oracle stores and returns it in upper
case. *Sometimes, database objects are created with quoted identifiers (for reserved words, mixed case, special characters, ...). Such an
identifier is case-sensitive (if not all upper case). Oracle stores and returns it as given. |table_info()| has no special quote handling,
neither adds nor removes quotes.*