[Catalyst] Forms and Plugins and Tutorials, oh my!!

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 17:09:42 CEST 2006

On 18/08/06, Kevin Monceaux <Kevin at rawfeddogs.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 01:48:06PM +0100, Carl Franks wrote:
> > If you're able to help at all with developing these, it'd be most welcome.
> > The first priority is probably rewriting Alien::Dojo, along the lines
> > mentioned in the "Alien-Dojo / HTML-Dojo merger suggestions" email.
>
> Since I'm asking for such features I certainly should put my money where my
> mouth is.  I'm willing to help in any way I can.  Unfortunately at my
> current skill level I doubt I could be of much help.  I'm very new to
> Catalyst.  I tinkered with perl years ago but not a great deal.  Catalyst
> has rekindled my interest in perl.  So, what can someone with my limited
> skills do to help?

All contributions will help!
Working on HTML-Widget-Dojo might be suitable, and of immediate value to you.

You'd just need a basic controller and template to try it out.
Download the latest dojo and put it in your static directory
http://download.dojotoolkit.org/release-0.3.1/dojo-0.3.1-ajax.zip
Make sure your html has a script tag pointing to the library, for example
<script type="text/javascript" src="/static/dojo/dojo.js"></script>
If you're testing this through catalyst, you'll probably need to set
static-simple to not ignore any extensions - make sure all the files
in static/dojo/ can be served, including .html files.

Then you can just try adding a widget to a page, with elements from H-W-Dojo.
See if you come across any errors.
Have a look through the dojo library to see if there's any other
widgets you'd like to add to H-W-Dojo.

You can get H-W-Dojo from here using subversion:
http://oook.de/svn/trunk/HTML-Widget-Dojo/

Incidentally, I submitted a patch for C-P-Static-Simple that helped
with serving the files, but it hasn't been applied. You might find it
useful:
http://lists.rawmode.org/pipermail/catalyst/2006-May/007266.html

Cheers,
Carl