[Catalyst] Forms and Plugins and Tutorials, oh my!!

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue Aug 22 20:06:18 CEST 2006

Carl,

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:09:42PM +0100, Carl Franks wrote:

> All contributions will help!
> Working on HTML-Widget-Dojo might be suitable, and of immediate value to
> you.

Sorry, I didn't mean to drop off the radar.

To make a long story somewhat short I've spent the past few days overhauling
the cpan setup on my main box.  My test box is running FreeBSD 6.1 and
installing Catalyst on it was a snap.  The latest version of Catalyst was
available via the FreeBSD ports collection.  But, my test box is an ancient
Pentium MMX 233 box.  Saying the Catalyst test server ran slow on it would
be a bit of an uderstatement.

So, I decided it might be more fun, rewarding, and quick to get Catalyst
working on my main box, which has a bit more horsepower.  The box in
question is currently running Gentoo Linux, but will be switched to FreeBSD
as soon as I get some stuff backed up.  After a few days of negotiation
between myself, cpan, and cpanplus I finally have Catalyst running on my
main box.  Like others reported in a recent thread I found some things
installed/upgraded better using plain old cpan and some work better with
cpanplus.  The main cause of problems were packages that had been installed
through Gentoo's package manager, portage.  Cpan and/or cpanplus couldn't
upgrade those packages until I uninstalled them through portage.

> Then you can just try adding a widget to a page, with elements from
> H-W-Dojo.  See if you come across any errors.  Have a look through the
> dojo library to see if there's any other widgets you'd like to add to
> H-W-Dojo.

I'll start tinkering shortly.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net