[Catalyst] how to get started?

burninbruce at yahoo.com burninbruce at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 11:03:52 CEST 2006

I'm a programmer with many years experience with perl and some
with CGI scripts but little with CPAN and none with web app
frameworks.

I've been trying for days to install Catalyst and haven't gotten
far.  I've tried both "perl -MCPAN 'install Task::Catalyst'" and
cat-install and they both fail with many errors in various
prerequisite modules.  I've tried this on Sun Solaris, NetBSD,
and Cygwin, and they fail in similar ways on all three.

I've tried CatInABox and started going through the Catalyst
Tutorial, and that works, up to running myapp_server.pl and
accessing it from my web browser, or accessing myapp_cgi.pl.
This was a little encouraging, but CatInABox doesn't include
DBIx::Class, and when I try installing that, it also fails
with errors in prerequisites, so I can't get any farther than
the middle of part 2 of the tutorial.

I've searched at vmware.com for the prebuilt VMWare image that
supposedly exists for Catalyst but haven't been able to find
it, and for some reason there's no link to it in the Catalyst
documentation where it's mentioned.  But running this inside a
VM seems excessively convoluted, so I hope there's another way.

Here's my request: would someone please build a greatly expanded
version of CatInABox that would include all the modules
referenced in the Catalyst Tutorial and the other Catalyst
examples, and all their recursive prerequisites, and put it up
for people to download?

In fact, please also include any other modules you can think of
that might naturally be used with Catalyst.  I don't care if
this turns into 1GB of perl modules (who doesn't have 100GB of
space these days anyway), but I really don't look forward to
having things fail again every time I try to add a module from
CPAN and it requires Tree::Simple or something else that won't
install for whatever reason.

My hope: download the archive, extract it, setenv PERL5LIB to
reference the extracted directory, and then be able to run the
whole Catalyst Tutorial with no further ado.  Is that so much
to ask?