[Catalyst] multiple row entry

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Aug 22 18:59:21 CEST 2006

* Alan Humphrey <alan.humphrey at comcast.net> [2006-08-22 18:45]:
> How to you handle the data entry of the tracks and artists?
> I've thought about an "add" button that would open up a
> separate page for each track, but that's clunky. Is there a
> better way? Something Ajaxian?

The oldskool way is to have several more input fields than are
typically necessary, then when the user submits the form, you add
that many new blank fields. Say you start with 3 inputfields for
artists and 10 for tracks; if the user submits the page, you send
him back to the form, which is prepopulated with his inputs and
has 2 blank artist fields and 4 blank track fields, say.

This is cumbersome (mildly), but it’s actually not really
painful.

The fashionable way is indeed to use DHTML (needn’t talk back to
the server, though can do that too if you want to) to add fields
on the fly before the user hits submit.

Regards,