[Catalyst] Framework Confusion: Catalyst, Jifty, Woodstock (Mojo)? 'Sup?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Aug 22 21:56:41 CEST 2006

Hugh Lampert wrote:
> Experts:  Why is Catalyst a qw/better more-robust more-enduring
> better-Rails-Killer easier-to-use/  framework than Jifty or
> (Woodstock|Mojo)?
>
> Seeing these other frameworks mentioned online - just curious.

Catalyst is designed to be flexible, extensible and basically let you do
things whatever way your app needs. It's not designed to be a Rails killer.
Rails is a toy. We go where Rails apps fear to tread (like, say, multi-column
primary keys, full-stack utf8 support and integrating with SVN, LDAP and all
manner of other models).

Jifty is substantially focused on new database-backed web applications and
provides One True Way to do everything (and nice integration of said true
ways) and Rails-like declarative syntax.

Mojo is vapourware, and I fully expect it to be released shortly after Duke
Nukem Forever for Vista ships.