[Catalyst] Fastest Perl HTTPD?

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Sun Aug 27 19:54:04 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>> FYI, I asked about this in the journal comments and it sounds like
>> shipping off database queries (and presumably any other blocking I/O) to
>> a separate mod_perl/PPerl/whatever is the likely route.
>
> That's not really what he says; the idea is to have things like database
> queries served by dedicated child pools, so that the apps in the centre need
> to block as little as possible.

I think that's what I just said.

> This is much more like the POE approach than
> anything to do with mod_perl.

PPerl, mod_perl, FastCGI, processes you fork yourself, whatever -- they
all do the same thing.  They keep a pool of child processes that Perl
requests can be handed off to and you talk to them through pipes or sockets.

It sounds like he has ideas for making DBI requests transparent, but
that won't change the underlying architecture.

- Perrin