[Catalyst] Last Chance / Last Day: Webdevelopment platform contestand Perl / Catalyst

Dami Laurent (PJ) laurent.dami at justice.ge.ch
Fri Dec 1 11:29:19 GMT 2006

Hi all,

OK, we all know on this list that on a technical level, Perl is
definitely NOT dead.

But on a social level, it is really in danger of dying, because there
are fewer and fewer young programmers entering the community, and fewer
companies investing on Perl for important projects.

So it's a common duty for all people who love Perl to seize every
opportunity to market it to the outside world ; just sitting there and
shouting "we are the best" is not enough.

The Plat_form contest is a unique opportunity to demonstrate and
publicize the power of Perl, so this is why we decided to submit a
Geneva team ; and we are lucky that our managers agreed to give some
money, and to take some days out of our internal development project for
going to the contest. It is just too sad, and actually quite worrying,
that there aren't many other Perl teams.

By the way, maybe we will also find out that Perl is not the best, and
that other platforms have much better results --- that's a risk we are
taking, but will be a very instructive lesson to learn.

Laurent Dami