[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / Last Day: Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Dec 3 04:44:40 GMT 2006

On Saturday 02 December 2006 13:50, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> From: "Dan Dascalescu" <ddascalescu+catalyst at gmail.com>
>
> > Two weeks ago, I embarked on building a web application and researched
> > the Perl framework offers. Catalyst seemed the most mature, flexible
> > and with the best community support. I went to the documentation - in
> > POD format. Not a big deal. I reached the tutorial at
> > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Manual/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial.
> >pod... and my enthusiasm vanished. The tutorial was very hard to grasp,
> > mainly because it seemed to focus on DBIC more than Catalyst itself. I
> > talked to several folks on #catalyst about this and they all seemed to
> > agree. I had put away my hope in Catalyst for a while.
>
> I have started learning Catalyst for a little more time, but I followed the
> same way.
> I have started learning Catalyst in order to be able to make a very simple
> site with access to a database, at the beginning with no authentication and
> no DBIx, because I don't know DBIx.
> Each time I have tried to do something, I have seen DBIx appeared, and each
> time I postponed learning of Catalyst until I will know better DBIx.
> I have found DBIx pretty hard to learn because I was already thinking to
> some more complex SQL queries, and I didn't know how to make them possible
> using DBIx.

My book addresses both of these complaints :)  Simple app to start with (no
subversion, either), then add the database, then learn how to do complicated
things with the database.  Hopefully you'll both buy a copy when it comes
out :)  (And why isn't it free?  Because there's a limit to what people will
do for free.  Gotta eat, ya know.)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,