[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / Last Day: Web development platform contest and Perl / Catalyst

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Dec 3 09:57:10 GMT 2006

On Saturday 02 December 2006 23:40, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> 1. The stuff on Subversion is not really on-topic, though not too
>    distracting.

I kinda have to say I was slightly distracted.  Teaching people two things at
once just confuses them twice as much.  Unified diffs are great for sending
to the developer mailing list, but not so great for teaching people how to
program :)  Just let them cut-n-paste or type it themselves.  Much easier.
(If the topic was "how to be a pumpking", then that's a whole 'nother issue
altogether.  unified diffs are then a required subject. :)

OTOH, it's a different approach -- there are plenty of "traditional" tutorials
available, and this one may appeal to the svn geeks out there.  I liked it :)

On Sunday 03 December 2006 02:05, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
>  the real documentation is at catalyst::manual::tutorial. It
> comes across as almost deliberately perverse.

try "perldoc What::You::Want::To::Read"; I think you'll find it works well.
search.cpan is buggy at times, and isn't really designed to be the One Source
Of Documentation For Perl; perldoc is.   CPAN is decentralized and has over
6000 different authors -- it's probably better to think of it as MySpace
(erm, mixi, I mean) with code snippets.

Anyway, if having a lot of new Catalyst users is something you think is
important, then feel free to contribute in any way.  If there's something you
need help with (how do I ... in Catalyst, how can I get svn access, etc.),
please let us know.  It is clear that documentation "needs to be improved",
but it's not clear who is volunteering to improve it.  The current
(overworked) volunteers are doing an excellent job (otherwise we would have
nothing), and would certainly appreciate any help you can provide.  Thanks!

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,