[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / LastDay:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Dec 3 10:09:26 GMT 2006

On Saturday 02 December 2006 13:34, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>   If Catalyst requires knowing how to use other modules it is all right,
> but in that case the Catalyst manual should specify that very clearly. It
> should say something like:
>   "If you want to use Catalyst, you should first know DBIx::Class, because
> otherwise you won't be able to use it".
>
>   If Catalyst can work without other external modules, than the first
> example should show such an application.

Most people these days want to write a database driven application, so that's
the focus of tutorials.  Catalyst doesn't require that you use DBIx::Class
(and admittedly I don't use it very much myself; see Angerwhale), but it's a
very common use for Catalyst and is worth (IMHO) covering in detail early on.
Helping the majority of people get comfortable with Catalyst in respect to
their problem domain is the priority of the tutorial.  Learning how to use
Catalyst to not solve their problem doesn't really help them :)

Anyway, kd's first advent calendar entry might be more appealing to you.  You
can't please everyone with the stock tutorial, and that's why the doc team
tries to vary what they write about.  A very basic "get started with Catalyst
+ TT" would be welcome, if you feel like writing one.  I've included a whole
chapter about this setup in my book, but I won't be /too/ upset if you write
and post a Free one :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,