[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / Last Day: Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Sat Dec 2 15:47:11 GMT 2006

I would tend to agree.

Since I'm just currently learning Catalyst, I find the DBIx documentation
to be a bit on the poor side.

The examples are very simple, and not quite varied enough. Having a
complete description/usage of many-to-many schemas would help.

I've done some mistakes while setting up the schema, and I often end up
with very bad error messages, hard to figure out for a beginner,
and DBI itself crashing... First time I saw perl dump core in a long while.

A reference documentation of all methods is also missing, in my opinion.

It's not always easy to figure out where to look, between Core, Relationship,
ResultSet, Schema, and whatnot...

Yes, I'm starting in the deep water, but the concrete example I have,
I'm trying to rebuild a web application which uses some Access databases.

The old pure HTML::Mason I have uses hand-crafted code to grab the
access stuff through DBD::Proxy, and copy it over to an sqlite database.

Well, I haven't been able to figure out how to explain to
DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader to get the Access schema through the proxy,
so it's a stumbling block...

So here it is, after reading the documentation and trying out the samples,
catalyst looks interesting, but I'll have to spend still quite a bit of
time before I get anything useful out of it...