[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / LastDay:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at fcc.ro
Mon Dec 4 10:41:06 GMT 2006

> This immediately brought to mind what I think is wrong (or I guess some
> people would say is right) with CPAN in regards to our discussion here.
> We want to make the Perl community bigger and better and that means we
> need to bring programmers to Perl, right?  Well CPAN is one of the great
> things about the language and community but for the novice or new to
> Perl user it really lacks in some important areas.  New programmers or
> programmers that have moved from another language first find it hard to
> search for exactly what they want and then when they do find it there
> are a myriad of modules that do more or less the same thing.  There is
> no real explanation to new Perl users of these de facto standards that
> they should use in most cases and I think this drives newbies away from
> Perl.

Bingo! That's it.
And I said that there is no de facto standard, because there isn't one
generally accepted.
The Catalyst users have an opinion, the CGI::App might have another one, the
Mason users who knows... maybe another one, and so on.

So the newbie might finally start learning Python or Ruby.

Teddy