[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / Last Day:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Hermida, Leandro Leandro.Hermida at fmi.ch
Mon Dec 4 08:46:46 GMT 2006

> On 12/2/06, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at fcc.ro> wrote:
> > Of course, there are more ways to do it in every language, but for
> > perl, the correct expression should be: "There are too many ways to
do
> > it". :-) There is no "the most important" templating system in perl,

> > or the best module for creating configuration files, or other
"bests",
> > so Catalyst should try beeing compatible with all of them, because
> > otherwise it would lose the interest of some programmers.
>
> Just because you can use all of them it doesn't mean there isn't a
defacto standard.
> TT is pretty much the default templating system for Catalyst,
DBIx::Class the default
> ORM and well, for configuration files, I > suppose it'd be YAML. At
least those are
> the better supported choices and that's why you can't properly learn
Catalyst without
> tackling DBIC or even TT, to a lesser degree.
>
> -Nilson Santos F. Jr.

This immediately brought to mind what I think is wrong (or I guess some
people would say is right) with CPAN in regards to our discussion here.
We want to make the Perl community bigger and better and that means we
need to bring programmers to Perl, right?  Well CPAN is one of the great
things about the language and community but for the novice or new to
Perl user it really lacks in some important areas.  New programmers or
programmers that have moved from another language first find it hard to
search for exactly what they want and then when they do find it there
are a myriad of modules that do more or less the same thing.  There is
no real explanation to new Perl users of these de facto standards that
they should use in most cases and I think this drives newbies away from
Perl.