[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance / LastDay:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Mon Dec 4 17:16:10 GMT 2006

"Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior" <acid06 at gmail.com> wrote on 12/04/2006
07:52:40 AM:

> On 12/4/06, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at fcc.ro> wrote:
> > And I said that there is no de facto standard, because there isn't one
> > generally accepted.
>
> There's a defacto standard for writing Catalyst applications.
>
> > The Catalyst users have an opinion, the CGI::App might have another
one, the
> > Mason users who knows... maybe another one, and so on.
> >
> > So the newbie might finally start learning Python or Ruby.
>
> And those other languages probably also have choices between
> templating systems or ORMs. The thing that actually makes Rails so
> successful is the fact that it has everything already sorted out. You
> can't really learn Rails without using ActiveRecord for instance.

Can we kill this thread?  It should be apparent to everyone at this point
that perl has some image issues (just by the length ad context of this
thread).

Catalyst does not have a de facto standard for ORM or templating system,
TT and DBIC are probably more used than other solutions, but they are not
defacto and Catalyst supports many other options.  That said, because of
the higher use of TT and the higher usage and tight coupling on DBIC (MST)
to the Cat core team,  you may find a higher level of Catalyst community
support for these.  Catalyst itself is very easy to learn -- its basically
just a dispatcher -- simple.  The true power of Catalyst comes into play
when you start building it up with all of the other CPAN modules (like and
ORM such as DBIC, Rose, or CDBI and a templating system such as TT, Mason,
whatever).  If you are just starting to learn about Perl in general -- this
_will_ be a daunting task,  perl is not dumbed down and is a very powerful
language.  Add on that a lot of the power of great Catalyst Apps come from
ORM and Templates cpan and all of the other nuances oo perl and you have a
steep learning curve.

I do not think we can hold ourselves to teach people perl, perl ORMs,
template systems, or even simple binary math --  That goes beyond what we
are trying to do. We should teach people how to use Catalyst, introduce
them to some of the other ancillary modules that fit into catalyst's
development platform well and hope they are intrigued enough to learn more
on their own.  We can't solve perl's image problems, we can only provide a
damn good framework for making web apps (which works towards enhancing the
image).