[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance /LastDay:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at fcc.ro
Tue Dec 5 01:44:12 GMT 2006

> This whole conversation boils down to what are the aims of Catalyst as
> an open source project. In order to gain popularity there should be
> less focus on flexibility and more focus on "achievability". However,
> in most serious developments this won't help much, it'd just be a lot
> of work and the only benefits might be a dozen new users - there would
> be no real benefits for the existing users and, most importantly, for
> the core devs.

Yes of course, but if thinking this way, PHP could be considered not very
successfully, because it is not an extraordinary language, however, it is
used in much more web sites than perl, and some big sites like Yahoo also
use it.

So I think a successful framework should be good and flexible, but also
accessible, easy to learn, and *portable to Windows*, because most of the
computer users are using Windows, Apache is the most used web server, but
the percent of the sites that use Apache decreases and the percent of IIS
sites increases.

The success of a framework is counted in the number of web sites that use
it, and the importance of those web sites.
An extraordinary technology that's used by nobody or by a smaller number of
users, do really have some issues.
More users means a bigger interest in it, a better mouth to mouth
advertising, more jobs that require knowing that technology...

Yesterday I have installed Catalyst and Task::Catalyst under Linux, using
the CPAN shell.
The process gave many errors, but they disappeared beeing replaced by the
new lines printed, so I don't know how to find them.
I have tried "install Catalyst" again, thinking that I could see those
errors again, but I received the message that Catalyst is up to date, so I
don't know which were those errors, and which modules were not installed.

I have tried this under Fedora, not under Windows, and it should have worked
correctly.

Teddy