[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance /LastDay:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Mon Dec 4 17:44:54 GMT 2006

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:
> On 12/4/06, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at fcc.ro> wrote:
>> Yes of course, but if thinking this way, PHP could be considered not very
>> successfully, because it is not an extraordinary language, however, it is
>> used in much more web sites than perl, and some big sites like Yahoo also
>> use it.
> =

> PHP is very popular and thus successful, from a marketing POV.
> However, technically, it's a recipe for spaghetti code.
> =

>> So I think a successful framework should be good and flexible, but also
>> accessible, easy to learn, and *portable to Windows*, because most of the
>> computer users are using Windows, Apache is the most used web server, but
>> the percent of the sites that use Apache decreases and the percent of IIS
>> sites increases.
> =

> I agree with you up to the point where you cite IIS as a viable
> alternative to Apache.
> It's not, period.

Actually, that's close to being not true now that Vista is out.
IIS7 is a huge rewrite, stealing its modularized-ness from Apache.

The new IIS7 stuff can run FastCGI, and as such, it's PHP, and
potentially else FastCGI-based is screaming fast compared to before.

http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2006/10/31/IIS-Team-Announces-FastCGI-Fo=
r-IIS-5.1_2C00_-IIS-6.0-and-IIS7.aspx

But I digress...
Yes, kill the thread. :-)