[Catalyst] Re: Last Chance /LastDay:Webdevelopmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 17:29:22 GMT 2006

On 12/4/06, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at fcc.ro> wrote:
> Yes of course, but if thinking this way, PHP could be considered not very
> successfully, because it is not an extraordinary language, however, it is
> used in much more web sites than perl, and some big sites like Yahoo also
> use it.

PHP is very popular and thus successful, from a marketing POV.
However, technically, it's a recipe for spaghetti code.

> So I think a successful framework should be good and flexible, but also
> accessible, easy to learn, and *portable to Windows*, because most of the
> computer users are using Windows, Apache is the most used web server, but
> the percent of the sites that use Apache decreases and the percent of IIS
> sites increases.

I agree with you up to the point where you cite IIS as a viable
alternative to Apache.
It's not, period.

> The success of a framework is counted in the number of web sites that use
> it, and the importance of those web sites.
> An extraordinary technology that's used by nobody or by a smaller number of
> users, do really have some issues.
> More users means a bigger interest in it, a better mouth to mouth
> advertising, more jobs that require knowing that technology...

As I've previously said, it really boils down to how you're measuring
your success.
If success is being popular, PHP is the most successful web language
ever. But I think that language or framework developers should strive
for quality, not popularity. Quality != quantity.

> I have tried "install Catalyst" again, thinking that I could see those
> errors again, but I received the message that Catalyst is up to date, so I
> don't know which were those errors, and which modules were not installed.

Well, if it is installed then, in theory, no real errors occurred.
Isn't it working?

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.