[Catalyst] question from tutorial - does creating HTML in a controller using HTML::Widget violate MVC?

Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Thu Dec 7 10:40:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 10:11:42AM +0100, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
> There was a long and very constructive discussion on the HTML::Widget
> email list about how to make it more MVC compliant.  We had some
> conclusions - I don't know when and if the maintainer is going to
> implement them - but I would not declare HTML::Widget dead yet. At
> least it has much saner API for validation than FormValidator.

I use HTML::Widget in such a way that I populate a widget within the
controller, but only to create named elements with default values, and
valididation rules.  In the template I rip the widget apart to obtain
the elements, and specify how they should appear within the templating
language.  It's a bit messy, but seems more MVC compliant.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
Physics Particle Theory (student)   http://www.pact.cpes.sussex.ac.uk/