[Catalyst] creating a model

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 01:32:53 GMT 2006

From: "Marc Espie" <espie at nerim.net>

> If your screen reading applications are so awesome, then use them through
> putty to be able to access a linux shell !

I am already accessing Linux in an SSH shell.

> You can also fairly well develop under windows if you choose. Samba works,
> you know. You can access a Linux filesystem from Windows without any
> trouble
> at all (and there are VNC clients and servers under linux as well)

The screen reader doesn't work in a VNC client, and it is not "without any
trouble" to need editing files in an editor by a samba connection, then run
that program for testing in a shell, in another window.
I can also use a text editor in a shell, but only basic editors like pico or
nano, because other editors are not very accessible.
They don't support running the source code of the current program using an
external program (perl), no find and replace using regular expressions, no
ways to choose if I want to encode the files as ANSI or UTF-8, and more
other disadvantages.

> I'm not blind, but I work all the time on Unix machines from a windows
> station, at work, without any trouble at all.

I am also doing that, but for me "working" doesn't mean editing the source
code in the shell.
Now I am at home in vacation (not because of holidays, but because of a
surgery), and I don't have Samba access to the Linux machine, and if
Catalyst would be working fine under Windows, it would be much easier to
create the whole program under Windows, and when it is ready, just pack it
and upload to the Linux machine.

> I believe you will have to invest some time into figuring things out,
> but I don't think the barrier is all that great, with a little ingenuity.

If the latest version of Catalyst is not working under Windows, I can say
that this framework is not very portable.
I know that I could find workarounds, but I said what I said for showing
some reasons why perl is less and less used.

Octavian